Certain homeopathic remedies are likely to be helpful in the summer. Possible uses for homeopathy include insect bites, sunburn, over indulgence (summer parties), injuries, and poison ivy. Check out the list of tips below.
- Apis: For Bee Stings that itch, sting and burning hot or at least warm. Worse from heat, better from cold applications.
- Rhus Tox: Eruptions which have vesicles. Very large, red hives. Very itchy, with burning and tingling, which makes the person restless and nervous. Better from scalding hot water. Worse from cold.
- Ledum: This remedy is good for any bite or puncture wound, especially if the injured part is cold. Insect bites that feel cold and better from cold applications. Worse from having the bite covered or made warm. Chilly, worse from warmth, better from cold applications and rest. May have hot, hard swelling with tearing pains. Better from Cold applications and rest. Also, use in a high potency after Tick bites to ward off potential after effects. Call to get appropriate dosing for this situation. For more information about Ledum and insect bites (ticks especially) read this blog post.
- Carbolic Acid: Do you or your children get HUGE welts from mosquito bites or stings from other insects? This is the remedy to use if that is the case.
Sunburn and Burns
- Apis: Redness, heat and swelling at the site of pain with stinging pain. Worse from heat, irritability.
- Arsenicum: Anxious, restless, physically cold, but burning pain. Adverse to cold.
- Calendula Ointment: Use it for mild burns. Readily available even at Target!
- Causticum: Helpful for mild burns such as touching something hot accidentally, the grill for example.
- Cantharis: A must for more painful and serious burns. Take as needed. Repeat often.
Nux Vomica: Too much to eat or drink. Take before bed, if you wake up in the middle of the night and in the morning.
Injuries of all sorts
Arnica: This is a remedy for physical trauma, such as sprained ankles, bruises, etc. Usually the first remedy after an injury.
Bryonia: Bryonia helps people who are experiencing pain that is worse from motion.
Rhus Tox: A classic remedy for pain that is worse from FIRST motion but better on continued motion.
Ruta: For injuries to connective tissue and the periosteum.
For more information on how homeopathy can help poison ivy, check out this blog post.
- Rhus Tox: Prickling, tingling sensations. Very restless and nervous. Itching better from scalding hot water. Worse from scratching, cold air, getting wet.
- Anacardium: Digs nails into the skin. Itching better from scalding Hot Water, worse from warmth, such as the warmth of the bed. Location: Neck, Torso, Inner thigh, arm pits, left side. This plant is related to Rhus Tox.
- Apis: Itching, stinging, burning sensation. Itching better from Cold or icy applications. Worse from Warmth. Location: Face especially about the eyes, forearms and hands.
- Graphites: For the secondary stage of poison Ivy when the lesions are weeping and oozing. Skin begins to thicken. Worse from being heated, especially in bed at night.
Purchase the remedies in 30C potency. If you purchase the Boiron remedies, 2 pellets is a dose, even if the bottle indicates otherwise. Take as needed. If the remedy doesn’t work, take a second dose an hour later. If it doesn’t work after the second dose, try a different remedy. You may need to use different remedies in succession. If you are better and then worse again, repeat the remedy.
To learn more about dosing homeopathic remedies in acute situations, such as the above, read this blog post.
How to Take Homeopathic Remedies
1. Pour the indicated number of pellets into the cap.
2. Drop the pellets under your tongue and dissolve.
3. Do not touch the pellets with your hands.
4. Do not eat or drink 10 minutes before or after taking the remedy.
5. Take as needed. If the symptoms return, retake the remedy. If the remedy does not work, take one more dose. If it still doesn’t work, call for a better matching remedy.
If you are struggling to find the correct remedy for your acute situation, schedule an Acute Care Consult with Lotus Homeopathy!
Who Is Kathryn Berg?
Kathryn Berg has been a classical homeopath for over two decades and fascinated by homeopathy for even longer. She graduated from the Northwestern Academy of Homeopathy in Minneapolis and has studied with many other well known homeopathy educators such as Rajan Sankaran, Jeremy Sherr, Louis Klein, the Joshis and others.
While helping all sorts of people with their health issues, Kathryn specializes in PTSD, Women’s Health, and Children’s health. For more information about homeopathy, be sure to check out other areas of our website at www.lotushomeopathy.com.
Kathryn is the owner of Lotus Homeopathy, Inc. in Woodbury MN. She and her husband live in Woodbury where she enjoys hiking, traveling, gardening, sewing, singing and playing piano in her spare time. She is an empty nester and the mom to two adult sons and is happy to no longer be a soccer mom.